Located in the heart of the city of Soria, facing Parque de la Dehesa (officially Alameda de Cervantes), Ram Street, 8 (near Post).
This museum was built at the expense of patrons and Senator D. Soriano Ramon Benito Aceña with the sole purpose of preserving and presenting the materials of archeological excavations that the Commission was doing at the ancient city of Numancia (7km from the capital). The first museum exhibition was provided by D. Jose Ramon Melida and D. Taracena Blas, which would be its first director until the Civil War. It was inaugurated by King Alfonso XIII, in 1919, but had been operating since 1916.
Paralelemante, since 1932, Blas Taracena, who made numerous field excavations in the province of Soria and other neighboring countries, under the old Celtiberia potentiated other museum, with the idea of creating a large Celtiberia Museum, Celtiberian called Museum, installed in the basement of the county council.
The museum ended its wanderings Celtiberian independent in 1968, when he joined the Museum Numantino, not without problems, given the testamentary clauses imposed by Ramon Benito Aceña that prevented change, as proposed, the name of Numantino.
The content of the exhibition
The museum currently consists of five rooms, of which two are aimed at exposing the wealth of Celtic-Iberian culture of this province
- Ground floor:
The three ground floor rooms are devoted to the provincial archaeological remains from the oldest Paleolithic to the modern age, having a diachronic trip through the highlights of the archeology of the province, including some aspects of Celtic-Iberian world. It should be noted in the context of materials from Roman deposits and Tiermes Uxama but initially Celtiberian.
- First and second floor:
Given the wealth of the world Celtiberian in this province, highlighting the great contribution that represents Numancia, have these two plants for the content of the exhibition in the world and specifically Celtiberian upstairs to the site of Numancia.
The tour, on the first floor, is arranged diachronically and may consider a good representation of the Culture of the Castros Sorianos (VI-IV century BC) and a broad representation of metal and ceramic objects from incineration necropolis known this province (recreation of a metal shop, funeral rituals, house celtiberica)
On the second floor you can see the greatest archaeological treasures of this Museum, represented by Numancia, as the uniqueness of the pottery found in the city, as well as metal objects recovered from her burial, recently excavated, show great individuality, given the exclusivity of their iconography, their aesthetics. Without you doubt you can see a wonderful collection of ceramic celtiberica given the peculiarity of the creativity of the potters Numancia.
- Travel to blind and visually impaired
The Museum also be prepared for wheelchair access, allows the blind to know the most important pieces, through touch and hearing.
Contacts and schedules
- Address: Paseo del Espolón, 8, Soria, CP: 42001
- Phone: 975 22 13 97 975 221 428
- Fax: 975 229 872
- E-mail: museo.soria@ jcyl.es
- Winter (October to June)
- Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00 and 16:00 to 19:00
- Sunday 10:00 to 14:00
- Summer (July to September)
- Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00 and 17:00 to 20:00
- Sunday 10:00 to 14:00
- * Closed Mondays (except holidays and holiday eves).